Asparagus Ceviche with
Heather infused Almond Panna cotta
- 500 ml almond milk
- 1-2 strip heather
- 3 g agar-agar
- 12 asparagus
- 1-2 Shallot finely diced
- 1 lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Place the almond milk with the heather and sprinkle the agar. Whisk to combine and set aside for 2-3 minutes for the agar to bloom. Next, slowly bring the mixture to 90˚C maximum to activate the agar. Remove from the heat and pour the mixture in flex mould or in serving glasses or dishes. Place in the fridge to set for 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, preheat a griddle pan or barbecue and grill the asparagus for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and place in a bowl. Combine the asparagus with shallot, lemon and olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Serve the panna cotta with asparagus and extra herbs.
Top tip of agar!
- Dry Agar needs to ‘re-hydrate/swell/bloom’ to recover its gelling abilities. Agar won’t melt properly without ‘blooming’ and the recipe will fail to set.
- Agar will melt at around 90 C; if you heat it for longer or at higher temperatures it will weaken the gelling properties.
- Once Agar has melted in the warm liquid, the combining with the other ingredients must be done before the melt Agar is set. Interfering with the mixture while the setting is risky as it may not set again properly if disturbed.
- The mixture will set at room temperature and solidify some more over the next hour or so. Refrigeration will speed the process up.