Homemade Turkey Gravy
A good gravy starts before roasting the meat. Always place a carrot, onion, and garlic at the bottom of a roasting tray and any bones available from the roast. This will be the base for the gravy when the roast in ready and resting!
- roasted bones and veg – from the roasting tray
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 1 bay leave
- ½ sprig rosemary
- 4 sprigs thymes
- 3-4 tbsp. of plain flour
- 250 ml Red Wine
- 50 g butter
- salt & pepper
- Bring to the boil the stock into a saucepan with the bay leaf, rosemary and thyme. Simmer for 5 minutes on low heat to infuse the flavours. Keep aside until needed.
- Using the roasting tray from the roasted turkey ( see previous recipe).
- Pour any excess fat in a small container on the side. Place the roasting tray on the cooking hob. Sprinkle with the flour and colour for 1 minute on medium heat, stirring once to colour the flour and coat all the leftover meat and veg .
- Then, deglaze the pan with the red wine and warmed infused stock. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 3-5 minutes until coating consistency is achieved.
- Pass the gravy through a fine sieve into another saucepan and at last whisk in the cold butter cubes.
- Serve when ready!