The tastiest vegetable Broccoli Mousse Dip
A guacamole of broccoli perfect for canapés, starters, or a snack
- 300 g broccoli broken down into florets, and stalk peeled.
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard optional, or hoseraddish
- 1 clove garlic. Chopped
- 1 lemon juice
- 5-6 tbsp sunflower oil
- A few drops of tabasco
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 4 sundried tomatoes finely diced
- A selection of crackers smoked salmon, herbs, meats …
- First, blanch the broccoli florets. In a large saucepan, over high heat, bring the water to boil with salt and a pinch of bicarbonate of soda to help keep the broccoli green later on.
- Add the broccoli florets and the sliced stalk and the Boil for 4-6 minutes or until the florets are softened just enough.
- Remove from the water and place in a bowl set with ice cubes and cold water to stop the cooking process immediately. Once cool enough, remove from the bowl and place on a colander to drain excess water for a few more minutes.
- Then, place the broccoli, garlic, mustard, half of the lemon juice in a blender. Pulse to process the broccoli mixture, slowly adding the oil until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper and add a few drops of Tabasco and the rest of the lemon juice if needed to balance the flavours.
- Remove from the blender into a bowl and keep in the fridge until needed covered.
- Once ready to serve, stir in the shallots, sundried tomatoes. add the broccoli dip on a platter with the crackers, and other food items such as smoked salmon, ham or strong cheese pieces. Enjoy within three days or so. The next day, it can be use instead of an avocado dip like spread over poached eggs!