a chocolate cake from Australia!
- 225 g butter
- 225 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 225 g self-rising flour
- 250 ml Cream
- 1 tsp liquid glucose or honey
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 200 g coconut desiccated
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C. grease and line a cake tin with parchment paper.
- Prepare the cake first. soften the butter and beat in a large mixing bowl with the sugar.
- Stir in the vanilla extract at this stage also. When this mixture is creamy and fluffy add in the eggs and the flour. If you find the mixture is a little tight you can add a dessertspoon of milk to loosen it up.
- Pour the mixture in the cake tin. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate sauce. Bring the cream and glucose to boil then remove from the heat. Place the chocolate pieces into a bowl then pour half the boiling cream over the chocolate, stir to combine, then add the remaining cream (this will avoid the mixture splitting). Stir until smooth, add a tablespoon or two of water if needed to loosen the sauce. Keep aside just warm enough.
- Slice the cake into individual rectangles and prepare a platter with the desiccated coconut.
- With a skewer or a fork, deep the cake pieces in the chocolate sauce.
- Shake the excess and transfer into the desiccated coconut. Coat all the sides and leave for 15 minutes minimum or a few hours to set.
- Enjoy within two days for best flavour.