Asian sticky Bacon Ribs
- 2 sheets bacon ribs cut into 3 pieces
- 1 onion halved
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 tbsp. oregano
- 1 tsp mustard grain optional
- 100 ml dark soy sauce 50ml +50ml
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. Worcester sauce
- 1 tsp. Chinese 5 spices
- Peanut Rayu ( Japanese chilli oil) – optional
- 4 tbsp. Coriander leaves
- Place the bacon sheet pieces on a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, herbs, mustard grain, half of the soy sauce and cover with vegetable stock.
- Cover with a lid and bring to the boil.
- Simmer over medium/ low heat for 45-50 minutes until the bacon ribs are softened.
- In the meantime, prepare the glaze. In a bowl, combine the honey, the rest of the soy sauce, sesame oil, Worcester sauce and Chinese 5 spices, stirring until combined. Keep aside until needed.
- Once the ribs are cooked, Preheat the oven to 220˚C or grilling setting.
- Place the cooked ribs on a roasting tray and brush with the glaze. Place in the oven and cook for 5 minutes. Brush again with more glaze and place one more time in the oven to caramelise.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with a sprinkle of coriander and peanut Rayu if desired.
Tip: Soak the bacon rib in water for 30 minutes prior cooking to help remove some of the saltiness of the ribs.