Smoked mackerel with Potato Salad
We are using a ceramic barbecue for this recipe but a normal kettle barbecue with a smoke box will work too!
- 8 mackerel fillets deboned
- 700 g marris piper potatoes
- 2 spring onion sliced
- 1 shallot sliced
- 200 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tbsp. coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp. crème fraiche
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the barbecue or smoker and bring to 125˚C and add some woodchip 10 minutes before starting smoking to warm up the woodchips.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and fill with water and a pinch of salt. Brin to the boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through. Drain and keep while the potato cools just enough to handle.
- Prepare the potatoes salad by slicing into bit size pieces the warm potato and placing in a bowl.
- Add the shallot, spring onion, cherry tomatoes, and coriander. Spoon some crème fraiche and Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine the flavour and keep aside until needed.
- When ready to serve, season the mackerel with salt and pepper and place on the hot barbecue smoker.
- Clove the lid and let the fish cook for 4-6 minutes or until the skin can be lifted from the flesh. Serve the mackerel with the potato salad and enjoy hot and at room temperature.