Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Chocolate Cake
- Slow Cooker
- 120 g plain flour
- 200 g 100 +100 caster sugar, divided
- 25 g + 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder divided
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175 ml milk
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 170 g dark chocolate chips
- 350 ml boiling water
- ice cream and/or whipped topping or whipped cream for serving optional
- Line with parchment paper in the slow cooker bowl and spray the parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, 100g sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and whisk to combine. Add the milk, oil, vanilla, and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter in the slow cooker into a smooth, even, flat layer. Scatter the chocolate chips.
- In a second bowl, combine the rest of the sugar with 3 tbsp. cocoa powder. Whisk in the boiling water until smooth.
- Carefully pour the hot cocoa-water mixture over the batter in the slow cooker. Do not stir. This mixture turns into hot fudge while the cake bakes; do not stir.
- Cover and cook on high for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Start checking at just over one hour to ensure you don’t overbake.
- Remove the slow cooker bowl from the slow cooker and set aside for 5 minutes before serving while warm with whipped cream / or ice cream.
- If you let it cool off the sauce will absorb into the cake.
You can do this cake in the oven in a ceramic dish with a layer of tin foil as a cover. Bake the cake at 170˚C for 1h.