Mushroom Ragu Bolognese
This mushroom Ragu can be blended with some beef for starting on a plant base diet!
- 10 g Dried Porcini Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 200 g minced beef optional
- 1 tbsp Dried Thyme
- 500 g Chestnut Mushrooms diced ( or other)
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tin 400g Chopped Tomatoes
- 200 ml Red Wine
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- wholemeal Spaghetti to serve
- Parmesan to serve
- Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl and pour over boiling water. Leave to soak.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and carrot and cook until softened then add the garlic and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Cook for another couple of minutes. (add minced beef at this stage if using and colour for 3-4 minutes.)
- Add the chopped fresh mushrooms and the thyme to the onion mixture. Cook for 2 minutes stirring.
- Add and the tomato paste, the tomato, Pour in the red wine and soy sauce, and some of the mushroom soaking liquid to add flavour. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce is thick.
- Check the seasoning and prepare the pasta.
- Serve with spaghetti and parmesan.