(Chocolate and Almond Flourless Cake) A dessert of the Island of Capri, extremely forgiving and flourless ( glutenfree!)
- 125 g ground almond
- 125 g dark chocolate
- 125 g butter chopped
- 125 g caster sugar
- 125 g 3-4 eggs, separated and left to come to room temperature
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C.
- Grease and line a 20 cm or 8inch loose bottom round cake tin with baking parchment.
- Place the chocolate in a glass bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water over low heat.
- When melted, remove the bowl from the saucepan and the butter, stirring until smooth.
- Fold in half of the sugar and the ground almond.
- Let the mixture cool for a minute.
- In the meantime, in a separate bowl, whip the egg white to a soft peak and slowly add the leftover of the caster sugar. Continue to beat until a light meringue texture has formed.
- Next, stir in the egg yolk into the cooled chocolate mixture.
- And immediately, fold the egg white meringue very gently.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin, smooth over the top and place in the oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the top appears dry and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs attached (not a too wet mixture). Don’t overcook so the cake retains moist consistency.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the tin.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache by bringing to the boil the cream in a small saucepan. Remove the saucepan from the heat and combine the 50g of chocolate and honey. Stir until smooth and pour over the cooled cake. Decorate with berries and leave to settle for 3-4 hours or overnight for chewer texture!
- Enjoy within 3-4 days!