Caramelised Rhubarb And Orange Cake
This tangy Rhubarb and orange flavour will delight your taste buds as a perfect morning or afternoon treat!
- 275 g 100g + 175g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 50 g brown sugar
- 4-5 sticks young rhubarb chopped
- 3 oranges 2 oranges segmented +1 orange thinly sliced
- 50 ml whisky - optional
- 175 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 115 g plain flour or Gluten Free flour
- 2 tsp G.F. baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas Mark 3.
- Grease an ovenproof dish or cake tin with a diameter of about 20cm (8 inches) Fit with parchment paper the base the tins to turn them upside down for serving.
- Melt 100g of butter in a saucepan over a low heat, add the brown sugar and cook for 2 minutes until slightly caramelized. Add the rhubarb and 2 orange segmented and cook over a medium heat for 2 -3 minutes until they are softened. Add the whisky and carefully ignite. Remove from the heat and leave to cool aside.
- In the meantime, Arrange the orange slices in the baseline of the prepared dish and pour the rhubarb and orange mixture over. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Then, in a bowl, beat together the remaining butter (175g) and caster sugar until fluffy and light. Don’t rush this stage. Beat in the eggs and add the flour and baking powder. Combine thoroughly. Spoon the mixture over the rhubarb mixture and bake for 30–40 minutes or until the sponge is golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and leave to settle for 5 minutes. Place a serving platter over the cake tin and turned upside-down to remove the cake from the tin. Lift the parchment paper and serve immediately with extra whipped cream.