Simple summery dessert, add some grand marnier for a boozy tipple.
Red coloured Sugar:
- 80 g caster sugar
- A few drops of red food colouring
- 800 g 400g + 400g Wexford Strawberries, halved
- 50 ml cold water
- 20 g icing sugar
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 16 ladyfinger biscuits
- 3 eggs separated
- 400 g mascarpone
- 100 ml cream
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod splits
- Start by making the coloured sugar.
- Place a few drops of food colouring in a small bowl and add the caster sugar and stir well. Sprinkle on a non-stick tray and leave the sugar to dry in the open air.
- As it dries it will loose the vividness of colour but it will be perfect when sprinkled on the tiramisu.
- Place half the strawberries in a blender with the water, icing sugar and lemon juice. Blitz until smooth. Pass through a sieve and pour in a container. Soak the ladyfinger biscuits in the strawberry puree for 1 – 2 minutes. In the meanwhile, prepare the cream mixture.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and half of the caster sugar and the vanilla seeds. Whisk until pale and fluffy, then combine with the mascarpone and cream.
- In a second bowl, whisk the egg whites with the remaining of the caster sugar until they form soft peaks.
- Fold the egg white meringue into the mascarpone mixture. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag and set aside.
- In a glass bowl, or individual glassed build the tiramisu by placing a layer of the ladyfinger biscuits on the base, then adding a layer of fresh strawberries. P Pipe some mascarpone mixture then continue layering until all the mascarpone mixture is gone.
- Decorate with a few strawberries and sprinkle just before serving with some red sugar.
- Serve immediately and watch it disappear!