Short crust Pastry
Short crust is the easiest and quickest of the pastry dough to prepare it will suit savory and sweet preparation.
- 10 oz/300g plain flour
- 5 oz/150g butter cold and in small dices
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 tbsp of ice cold water
- In a large mixing bowl, sieve the flour and add a pinch of salt.
- Rub the butter into flour until it resembles very fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in enough ice cold water to bring the mixture together.
- Kneed the pastry gently to bind the dough together. Shape a flat rectangle, Cover with cling film and rest in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and knead the dough for a minute to have a pliable mixture.
- Dust some flour on a table and using a rolling pin , roll out the pastry.
- Line a fluted flan dish, tartelette shell or desired dish with the pastry. Place in the fridge for another 10 minutes before using as required on the recipe.
- Tip: add 1 egg instead of the water to enrich the dough.
- Tip ; Try to work the dough as quickly as possible, the more it is kneaded the more it will become elastic and shrink while baking.
- I sometime like to roll straight away the pastry and let it rest then before using.
- If freezing, freeze ready rolled, between 2 sheets of baking parchment and keep in the freezer, wrapped in cling film 2 months maximum.
- This is a great base for vegetable fan tart, quiche, apple pie, blackcurrant pie…