Salmon En Croute
You can use smoked fish, cod, salmon, Haddock as an alternative to trout.
- 25 g Butter
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 225 g Mushrooms thinly sliced
- 400 g Spinach
- 900 g Puff Pastry
- 800 g Side of salmon skin removed
- 2 Eggs hard boiled, sliced
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350G/Gas Mark4.
- Over high heat, in a large pan, Melt the butter and add the onion, garlic, mushrooms and Sauté for 2 minutes or until cook through, then add the spinach remove from the heat and let the spinach wilt.
- Roll out two sheets of pastry, about 30 X 20 cm, on a lightly floured surface, and brush the surface with egg wash. Place half of the fish on the pastry and add the spinach and mushroom on to fish. Add the boiled egg, .
- Lay the 2nd piece of salmon onto the mushrooms and spinach mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the top sheet of pastry on the salmon mixture and press lightly all round the border with a fork to seal the edges.
- Brush with egg wash again and leave to set in the fridge for 10 minutes in the fridge.
- Remove from the fridge, and with the tip of a sharp knife, make very light incisions on the pastry to look like fish scales.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and place in the preheated oven for 30 – 35 minutes, then remove and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- To Serve:
- Place the Coulibiac onto a serving platter, and serve with salad leave.