Minced Lamb Hot Pot
This is a delicious twist on the traditional hot pot. It is like Shepard’s pie meets hot pot!
- 500 g minced lamb
- ½ onion diced
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 350 ml lamb/beef stock
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce optional
- ½ leek chopped
- 4 large potatoes
- 25 g butter-melted
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5
- Heat a large saucepan with a little oil and add in the diced vegetables and sauté on a low heat for 4-5 minutes until they are beginning to soften.
- Next add in the minced lamb and cook this for 4-5 minutes until the lamb is browned off. Season lightly at this stage.
- Next add in the plain flour and use this to dry up any juices that are on the pan.
- In a separate pan bring the flavoured stock to a gentle boil.
- Stir the boiled stock into the floured lamb mixture and stir continuously until the mixture thickens, ensuring that no lumps form during the process.
- Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes and check the seasoning. Add the Worcestershire sauce at this stage if you wish.
- Transfer the lamb and vegetable mixture to a medium sized casserole dish at this stage.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes and arrange these on top of the lamb and vegetable mixture with each potato slice slightly overlapping the previous one.
- Brush the entire top of the pie with the melted butter, which will give a nice shine and glaze to the potatoes.
- Transfer the hot pot to the oven for approximately 30-35 minutes until the potatoes nd tender and the entire mixture is bubbling.
- Serve immediately.