Meringue Roulade with Strawberries
A simple yet, always perfect flavoursome dessert
- 160 g egg whites or 4-5
- 225 g caster sugar
- 50 g flaked almonds optional
- 300 ml cream lightly whipped
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 500 g strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C.
- Line a large Swiss roll tray (13 x 9 ½ inches) with parchment paper ensuring that both the base and the sides are covered.
- Place the egg whites into a large mixing bowl and using a electric hand mixer, beat rapidly until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Then, gradually add in the sugar. whisking thoroughly between each addition until the meringue is glossy and stiff.
- Pour and carefully spread the mixture onto the prepared baking tray and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
- Using a large piece of parchment or a clean tea towel dusted with icing sugar, carefully, turn out onto a work surface, with the flaked almonds facing down onto parchment and work surface. Pull the parchment paper used to bake in the baking tray.
- Spread over the whipped meringue and add a few strawberries.
- Roll up in one fast action keeping the roulade shape as thigh as possible without tearing.
- Pipe some additional cream mixture on the top.
- Transfer onto a serving platter and serve within a few hours.