The perfect Italian Meringue!! This works really well on top of a layer of sponge and ice cream and then just glazed with a blow torch for a perfect finish.
- 80 ml cold water
- 360 g caster sugar
- 30 g liquid glucose -optional
- 6 egg whites
- Place the water and glucose into a medium saucepan and place onto a moderate heat.
- If you have a sugar thermometer put it into the pan also.
- In a large clean mixing bowl start beating the egg whites until they are stiffly beaten.
- When the sugar reaches 121C (hard ball stage) reduce the speed of the egg whites to very a very low speed and then gently pour the boiled sugar on top.
- Continue to whisk very slowly until the mixture is cool.
- At this stage it should be smooth and glossy.
- Use as required.
- Baked Alaska
- Lemon Meringue Pie