This a a quick version of Paris Brest a traditional praline flavoured choux cake
- 125 ml milk
- 125 ml water
- 10 g sugar -optional
- 110 g Salted butter
- 200 g flour
- 4-5 eggs
- 2 egg yolk mix with 2 tbsp milk for Egg Wash
- 2 tbsp almond flaked toasted
- 600 ml vanilla pastry cream flavoured with praline or nutella
- 300 g caster sugar
- 50 ml water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- First, prepare the choux pastry. Place the butter, sugar, milk and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and immediately add the flour. Stir briskly and place on a medium heat until the mixture forms a soft dough and leaves the side of the saucepan dry. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Without cooling down the mixture, add the eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition, the mixture should be smooth and glossy.
- Keep aside until needed.
- Next, Fill a piping bag fitted with a large plain nozzle, using two thirds of the choux pastry. Pipe choux into a wreath on the baking tray. Brush with egg wash and place in the preheated oven for 35 – 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and place onto a wire rack to cool.
- In the meantime, in a second baking tray lined with parchment paper, pipe the rest of the choux pastry into large choux puffs. Brush with some egg wash and place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove on a wire rack, and using a skewer pierce each choux at their base.
- Start to prepare the cake by carefully slicing the base of choux. Pipe some crème patissière and place the top of the choux back over the crème patissière.
- To continue, make the caramel, pour the sugar into a heavy-based pan and add 50ml water. On a medium/low heat, cook the caramel until a pale amber colour, remove straight away from the heat and cool the pan. Using the skewer, dip the top of each choux puff into the caramel. Then, dip each of the choux puffs base in the caramel and stick over the choux crown. Create some angel hair with the rest of the caramel if desired and decorate.
- Serve within a day.