Homemade Raw Strawberry Syrup
can be used as a flavoured syrup for a cocktail, sparkling wine or sparkling water. It is the easiest recipe to prepare although, plan a few days ahead. wash the berries by dipping them quickly in a cold water bath with a drizzle of white vinegar. remember that this is a syrup rather than a cordial so it is must sweeter !
- 400 g strawberries
- 400 g caster sugar
- ½ lemon juice
- In a 1 litre glass jar, place, hulled and halved strawberries with caster sugar and lemon juice.
- Stir in the container once or twice to coat the strawberries in the sugar.
- Lock with the lid and place in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- The strawberries will render their juices together with the sugar. All you need then is pass the mixture through a fine sieve without pressing.
- Check it and add a dash of lemon juice if you find the syrup too sweet.
- enjoy the delicious homemade syrup for cocktails, drizzled over yoghurt or even to create a delicious icing over a cake.
- I keep mine in the fridge for a few days before it is all used up.
- Try it with blackberries, blueberries or blackcurrants if you go foraging or plan for next year with rhubarb!