The Tastiest Roasted Leg of Lamb dinner
Irish Yogurt Clonakilty gave me the challenge to use their delicious Yogurt to create a main course using lamb! it was super tasty. I marinated the lamb in their silky rich natural Greek-style yogurt, and used it to make naan bread. The dressing is a refreshing cucumber dressing made using Kefir natural yogurt which is packed with even more great gut bacteria for the same rich and velvety texture. you will find the yogurts in your local supermarkets, they are so tasty!
- 250 ml Irish Yogurt Clonakilty Natural Greek Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 bulb garlic halved horizontally
- 2-3 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 leg of lamb approx. 2kg /4lb 8oz
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 onions roughly chopped.
- 3 tbsp rapeseed Oil
- Salt & Pepper to season
- 200 g Irish Yogurt Clonakilty natural Kefir yogurt
- ½ cucumber grated
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- ½ lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 300 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp. table salt
- 70 g Irish Yogurt Clonakilty natural Greek yogurt
- ½ egg beaten
- 150 ml water lukewarm
- 30 ml rapeseed oil
- 75 g garlic butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C.
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt, mustard. Brush the leg and marinate overnight or for 30 minutes minimum if possible.
- On a large roasting tray arrange the carrots, garlic and onions to form a trivet/ raft to raise the meat off the roasting tray.
- Remove the leg of lamb from the fridge and place it on top of the vegetable raft.
- If desired, using a sharp knife make a number of incisions to the fat of the lamb and insert a few extra cloves of garlic and sprigs of the rosemary.
- season well with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and roast in the oven for 15 minutes, then drop the temperature to 160˚C and continue to roast - 40 minutes per kg, or 1 hour 20 minutes for this leg.
- In the meantime, prepare the cucumber dressing.
- In a bowl, place the cucumber and sprinkle over some salt. Let the cucumber macerate for 20 minutes. Rinse and press to remove excess water.
- Place the cucumber back in the bowl and stir in the yogurt, garlic, tomato, basil leaves and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. And check the flavours.
- Keep aside until needed.
- Then, prepare the naan bread mix. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Create a well and add the yogurt, egg, water and oil. Combine until a soft sticky dough is formed.
- Divide the mixture into 8-12 equal balls and arrange on an oiled baking tray. Cover with cling film loosely and set aside for 1 hour to settle before shaping.
- Preheat a griddle pan over medium heat. On a lightly floured surface, flatten with your hands each naan and gently place over the griddle pan for 2 – 3 minutes. Turn the naan and cook the second side until slightly charred yet still pliable. Brush with garlic butter and place aside on a platter, kept warm in a clean kitchen towel. Repeat until all the naans are cooked. Enjoy while still warm.
- Once the leg is roasted to your taste, remove it from the oven, and allow the meat to rest for at least 10 minutes before carving.
- Serve with cucumber and yogurt dressing and Homemade Naan bread.