- 450 ml milk
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 110 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 50 g butter
- 4 teaspoons of cream
- Salt & Pepper to season
- Peel the onion and stud the cloves into the onion.
- Pour the milk into a pan and add the onion and bay leaves and gently bring to the boil.
- When the milk has come to the boil remove the studded onion and bay leaves.
- Sprinkle in the breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper, allow to cook on a very gentle heat for 8-10 minutes.
- At this stage, stir in the nutmeg, butter and cream which will flavour and enrich the sauce even further. Allow to cook for another 5-10 minutes and then transfer to a sauceboat to serve.