- 1 kg oxtail cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp corn flour optional
- 200 ml red wine
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1.2 litre beef or vegetable stock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 240˚C.
- place the oxtails pieces on a roasting tray and place in the oven to colour for 20 minutes or so until well coloured.
- In the meantime, in a large saucepan, heat the oil. Ass the onions, carrots, garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the caramelised onions, tomato puree, mustard stir to coat the flavour with the vegetables.
- At this stage, if you desire a thicker soup add the corn flour and again stir in the vegetable mixture.
- Add the caramelised beef pieces and pour over the red wine, stock, and Worcester sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the herbs.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 2-3 hours over low heat until the meat is fork tender.
- Once cooked, Remove the oxtail from the soup and separate the meat from the bones and return the meat to the saucepan. Check the seasoning.
- Serve immediately with fresh bread.
You can use a slow cooker on low for 8 hours or slow cook in a casserole dish in the oven for 2 hours at 160˚C.