Irish Chicken and Chips Spice Bag
Buy ready to use spice bag mix to have your favourite mix, I sometimes add a little of curry powder and smoked paprika to vary the flavours.
- 2-3 potatoes cut into cubes or wedges
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tsp Chinese 5 spices (1+1)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (0.5+0.5)
- ½ tsp ground coriander optional
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200 g chicken fillet cut into thin strips.
- 1 red pepper cut into pieces.
- 1 onion cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat a deep fat fryer to 160°C.
- Blanch the potato chips in the oil at 160˚C until cooked through but not yet crispy or browned, or about 5 minutes. Remove from the fryer and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the corn flour, half of the spices, salt and pepper and baking powder. This will help to create to crispy coating.
- Increase the temperature of the deep fat fryer to 190-200˚C.
- In the meantime, in a second bowl, combine the chicken strips, the red pepper, onion and toss in the spices seasoning.
- Preheat a wok pan over high heat and add some oil. Sauteed the chicken pieces and vegetables for 2-3 minutes to colour. Tossing to colour for a few minutes until fully cooked.
- Alternatively, if desired, add all the chicken and vegetables with the potato chips in the deep fat fryer basket. Deep fry for 2-3 minutes until crispy.
- Remove from the basket shaking excess oil, season with salt, a sprinkle of 5 spices, extra chilli flakes and a few herbs.
- Serve with your favourite sauce and Enjoy immediately.