Christmas Brown Bread
When mixing the bread, stir as little as you can, so the bread stays light and aerated. You can mix half of natural yogurt with the second half full fat milk to create an alternative to buttermilk.
- 350 g wholemeal flour /whole wheat flour
- 75 g porridge rolled oats
- 50 g plain flour
- Pinch table salt
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (bread soda)
- 1 egg
- 500 ml buttermilk
- 4 tbsp. dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp. mixed seeds and nuts
To serve (suggestion):
- Irish butter at room temperature
- Smoked salmon to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C / 325˚F. line a loaf tin with grease and parchment paper on the base.
- In a large mixing bowl, Place the wholemeal flour, plain flour, porridge oat, salt into a large mixing bowl. Sieve in bread soda and combine with the flour mixture.
- Make a well and add the egg. Slowly pour in the buttermilk and stir to combine to get a ‘sloppy’ consistency. Add half of the dried cranberries and mixed seeds and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 2lb loaf tin and smooth the top of the bread with a wet spoon and sprinkle the rest of the cranberries and mixed seeds and nuts. Tap lightly with a spoon to ensure the topping sticks to the bread while baking.
- Bake in the oven for 60-80 minutes until hollow when tapped on. Remove the bread from the tin and remove from the oven. Allow the bread to cool down on a rack for 30 minutes before slicing.
- To serve, spread some soft butter on slices of brown bread and lay a small slice of smoked salmon or any other favourites!