Simple Rum Crepes
This is a basic and simple French pancakes recipe with an addition of cornflour for extra crispiness and lightness in the batter and some rum for flavouring, Add some vanilla extract or some orange zest for different flavours.
- 100 g plain flour
- 25 g corn flour
- 50 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml milk
- 25 g salted butter melted – optional
- 1 tsp rum black or spiced rum are best
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
to serve – optional
- 200 g blackberries
- 200 g cream
- 4 tbsp honey
- Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the sugar and make a well in the centre.
- Add the eggs in the well and stir well with a whisk, to combine the eggs with the flour mixture. When the mixture starts to thicken, slowly mix in the milk until all the flour is combined.
- Now, stir in the butter and the rum. Pass through a fine sieve to remove any lumps.
- Let the batter rest, covered with cling film for at least an hour.
- When ready, heat a little of oil, over medium heat, on a crêpe pan or non-stick pan. Ladle enough batter into the centre, tilting the pan so that the batter thinly covers the surface evenly. Cook for 1-2 minutes until coloured on the edges then flip the crepes and cook for a further 20-30 seconds. Slide it out of the pan onto a warmed plate and keep warm as you make the rest.
- Serve warm with blackberries, and a spoon of whipped cream with crushed blackberries and honey. or just sprinkle of caster sugar or some caramel or chocolate sauce.