Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- Slow Cooker
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts on the bone
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 200 g chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 800 ml crushed tomatoes tinned
- 100 ml red wine optional
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp dried herbs
- 1 tsp corn flour optional
- 4 tbsp Chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- In a large sauté pan, over high heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken in the pan and sear for 2-3 minutes until coloured.
- Place the vegetables in the slow cooker, add the tomato puree, crushed tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar, dried herbs.
- Cover with the lid and place in the slow cooker on high for 2 ½ hours or low for 4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker as soon as it reaches 70˚C.
- At this point, you can serve the sauce right away, but I prefer to combine 2 tbsp. cold water with 1 tbsp. corn flour and combine in the tomato mixture.
- Taste and season the sauce with additional salt/pepper as desired. Serve the chicken pieces whole with a generous amount of the sauce over.
- Serve hot over pasta or boiled potato with a big extra spoonful of sauce and a sprinkle of parsley.
If time allows, this is what I like to do for the best-ever sauce: Uncover the slow cooker and let cook on HIGH for the last 50 -60 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken and the flavour to concentrate.