Slow cooked Coq au Vin
You can make this recipe using a slow cooker reduce the liquid to 300ml of red wine and 200ml stock and cook for 4 hours on high!
- casserole dish
- 50 g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chicken divided into 12 pieces
- Salt and black pepper
- 100 g streaky bacon chopped
- 300 g button mushrooms quartered
- 2 small onions or 100g pearl onions
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp tomato purée paste
- 600 ml red wine
- 400 ml Chicken Stock
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaves optional
- 25 g butter
- 25 g flour / cornflour
- Chopped flat leaf parsley to garnish
- Place the butter and oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. When hot, fry the chicken pieces for 2–3 minutes, until golden brown all over. Season well, then transfer to a casserole dish.
- Add the bacon to the empty pan and fry for 2 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to the casserole dish too.
- Again, Add the mushrooms, onions and garlic to the empty pan and cook for 4–5 minutes, until glazed and golden brown. Stir in the tomato purée, wine and stock, bring to the boil, then pour over the chicken in the casserole dish.
- Add the thyme and bay leaves, then cover and simmer on a stove top over low heat for 30-40 minutes or place in the oven and braise for 40–45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Once cooked through, check the coating of the sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter and flour to create a beurre Manie.
- With a lid, take some of the sauce in a bowl and whisk in the beurre Manie to dilute the mixture. Pour back in the casserole and carefully stir to combine with the rest of the liquid. (it is very important that the liquid is hot or a minimum of 80˚C or else the sauce will be lumpy).
- Place the lid back on the casserole and continue to cook for a further 5-10 minutes adding more beurre Manié if required to obtain a smooth and coating sauce.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
You can make this recipe using the slow cooker. Reduce the liquid to 300ml of red wine and 200ml stock, caramelise the ingredients and let it simmer for 4 hours! delicious.