Sultana White Soda Bread ( Aga)
- 450 g plain flour plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda rounded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 eggs - optional
- 75 g sultanas
- 350 ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp milk for brushing
- Preheat the oven Baking oven.
- Dust a baking tray with flour.
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Add the salt and sultanas and stir to combine.
- Pour in the buttermilk and mix until a soft and sticky dough forms.
- Put the dough on a well-floured work surface and knead for a minute or two. Shape into a flattened ball and place on the prepared baking tray. Slit the bread and brush the loaf lightly with milk.
- place on the base of the baking oven. Bake for 45–55 minutes, or until the underside sounds hollow when tapped. I always, while using the aga, halfway through to turn the bread to allow the front and the back of the bread to bake evenly.
- once cooked, remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve within a day or two.