Simple Sponge Cake
Use self-rising flour instead of the plain flour and baking powder for ease of use.
- 150 g caster sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 150 5 plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder level
- Icing Sugar to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease 2 x 20cm/8inch sandwich tins and line the bottom of the tins with a round of baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar until creamy and fluffy or until figure of 8 is achieved.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- Sieves the flour over the egg and sugar mixture and gently fold to combine.
- Transfer evenly to the two prepared sandwich tins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack. Allow to cool.
- Use with a day.
If you would to participate in tomorrow’s cook along please make these sponges today, let them cool and wrap them tightly to keep them fresh for tomorrow. You can make as many as you would like to depend on what height you would like your cake to be.