Prepare the pitta bread dough ahead of time, as the dough need to proof! An essential for any barbecues sides served with grilled chicken to steak chimichurri, they are making your barbecue very tasty!
- 500 g strong flour
- 15 g dried yeast
- 10 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp table salt
- 300 ml water body temperature
- 4 tbsp olive oil plus a little for greasing
- In a bowl, combine the flour, with the salt, caster sugar.
- In a jug, measure the water and stir in the yeast. Stir a few second to activate the yeast and add the oil to the mixture.
- Pour the water mixture in the bowl with the flour.
- mix with your fingertips until a ball is formed. Transfer on a work surface and knead for 6-10 minutes until smooth and stretched well. If you are using a food mixer, combine on low speed with a dough hook for 5 minutes.
- Place the smooth dough back into the bowl and cover with a humid clean towel or cling film. Leave at room temperature to proof for 60-70 minutes or until it double in size.
- Once risen well, knock back the dough and divide the mixture into 8-10 balls.
- Roll them once more into smooth balls and place on an oiled tray to proof covered with cling film or a humid towel for 30 minutes or until needed.
- (At this stage you can keep the dough in the fridge overnight or until required, all you need to do is letting the dough come back at room temperature for 1 hour once out of the fridge!)
- Preheat a woodfired oven, a barbecue to high or heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Roll the pitta breads into thin circles of about 5 mm thick or so. The thinner rolled the more you will have the puff on the pitta bread while cooking them!
- Brush the rolled pitta breads with oil and gently place one into the pan or into the entrance of the pizza oven. It should bubble on the surface after 30 seconds to 1 minutes.
- In the pizza oven, once the base start to colour, remove the pitta quickly and place on a plate with a clean towel to keep them humid enough to fold if need.
- In a pan, when the base is coloured, flip the pitta and continue to cook for another minute or so.
- Repeat the process until all the pittas are cooked and ready to serve.
- Enjoy freshly backed or warm them back in the oven for 2 minutes to serve.