Irish Coffee Chocolate Fudge Cake
- 220 g flour
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 14 g baking powder
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 150 ml milk
- 50 ml espresso coffee cooled
- 40 ml Irish whiskey plus extra to drizzle
- 600 g whiskey chocolate buttercream
- 200 g dark chocolate plus extra to decorate
- Grease and line with parchment paper a 18 cm cake tin. Preheat the oven to 160˚C.
- In a bowl, stir in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder. Keep aside.
- In a second bowl, beat the eggs with the caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the oil, milk, cold coffee, Irish whiskey. Sieve and Fold in the flour mixture until combined into a stiff mixture.
- Pour the mixture in the cake tin and place in the oven.
- Bake for 45 -50 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out neatly. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Stir the chocolate and whiskey buttercream icing to bring it back to room temperature.
- Slice the cake sideway to have 2 layers of cake. Sprinkle with some whiskey if desired then spread the buttercream equally over both layer. Place one cake layer on top of the other to create the final cake.
- In a small saucepan, over medium to low heat, place a bowl and melt the chocolate. once melted remove the bowl from the saucepan.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate on the cake over the buttercream and with a spatula, swirl the chocolate with the buttercream to create swirls and textures once it will be cooled and set.
- Grate some chocolate over the top or decorate with some chocolate coffee grains. Set aside for 2 hours to settle the flavours.
- Serve the cake within 2 days for best flavour and texture.
for the buttercream, You will need to start by melting in a bowl 150g of chocolate. Then, on the side, prepare a buttercream icing with 300g butter and 600g icing sugar beaten until light and fluffy. Folding the melted chocolate to the mixture with an extra 5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and some whiskey or warm water to loosen up the mixture if needed. Make sure the mixture butter and icing sugar is light and fluffy before adding the melted chocolate to ensure a smooth result. Keep it in a container always covered to avoid have a crust been created on the surface and use it as explained in the cake recipe!