Add extra lightness by whipping the egg white separately before folding them into the batter at the last minute.
- 300 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 400 ml buttermilk (more if the batter is too thick)
- 2 tbsp. butter melted - optional
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 200 g frozen berries compote
- 100 ml maple syrup
- Whipped cream
- Mix together the flour, baking powder in a large bowl.
- make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and Beat the eggs in, adding the buttermilk as you whisk until a thick smooth batter is achieved. Mix in the melted butter if desired.
- Cover with cling film and rest for 1 hour or overnight if possible, in the fridge.
- Before using stir and check the consistency of the batter. It should be thick but pourable! Add extra buttermilk is required.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, over medium/ low heat.
- Drop two tablespoons of the batter per pancake into the pan to make pancakes approx. 5 cm across.
- Make 3 – 4 pancakes at a time and cook for about 3 minutes over a medium/low heat until small bubbles appear on the surface of each pancake, then turn and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the pan onto a serving dish. Cover with kitchen paper to keep warm while you use the rest of the batter.
- Serve warm with some berry compote, drizzle of maple syrup and some whipped cream!