Cumberland Sausages Toad in the Hole
- 75 g plain flour
- 140 ml milk
- 1 eggs
- 6 Cumberland sausages
- 100 ml lard or sunflower oil
- Salt & Pepper
To serve ;
- 200 ml Red wine and Onion gravy
- 4 tbsp Fresh Herbs
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Sift the flour into a bowl with a pinch of salt. Break the egg into the bowl. Whisk in the milk into a smooth batter. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest.
- In the meantime, over medium heat, sauté the sausages in a ovenproof pan. Colour on all sides for 4-6 minutes until browned.
- Add the extra oil or fat to the pan and heat it up until piping hot. This will help rise the batter like a Yorkshire pudding.
- Heat the oil for 2 minutes or until piping hot. Carefully pour in the batter. Transfer the pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and just firm.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with a red wine onion gravy.