Crispy smoky Cauliflower ‘Bacon’ Bits
- 2 cups diced cauliflower
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or liquid aminos for soy-free
- 4 1/2 tsp liquid smoke –optional
- 2 1/2 tsp white or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 2-4 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- *Note: I diced the cauliflower by hand (which only took about a minute). When I tried doing it in the food processor, it became too pulverized and turned into a mushy oatmeal texture – not what you want for bacon bits!
- Toss the diced cauliflower with the oil. (I haven’t tried it without oil so don’t know if it would get crispy using spray instead, but please feel free to try.) Either bake or sauté until crispy. Then stir in all other ingredients. Add salt to taste if desired. Use anywhere you would use bacon bits – as mentioned in the post, it’s not supposed to taste exactly like bacon; it’s just supposed to have a similar smokey flavor that will compliment dishes where you’d normally add bacon bits. Not everyone will be a fan, but I really love them!