Chicken Chasseur Sauce
you can make this recipe vegan by using firm tofu marinated in garlic and herbs or vegetarian using Haloumi, grilled instead of the chicken breast!
- 4 chicken fillets
- 50 g + 20g butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour or cornflour
- 3 shallots finely chopped
- 120 g button mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp brandy - optional
- 200 ml Sauvignon white wine
- 150 ml chicken stock or vegetable stock, warm
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 2 to mato diced
- 2 tbsp tarragon chopped
- 50 g broad beans optional
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C
- Cut the chicken breast in half to butterfly them then again divide to have 8 flat chicken pieces. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- In an oven proof sauté pan, over a medium heat, drizzle some oil and sear the chicken breast skin side down for 2-4 minutes or until the skin has browned. Turn the chicken breast skin side up, and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until cooked through.
- Then, drop the heat to medium-low and add the butter.
- Add the shallots and mushrooms and gently toss for 2 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon for 1 minutes or until browned.
- Carefully pour the brandy over the mushroom and flambe until the flame dies down.
- Deglaze with the wine, stirring to remove any lumps then add the stock, tomato puree, tomatoes, and parsley.
- Increase the heat to medium and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and finally add the tarragon, broadbeans and stir in 20g butter at the last minute to finish the sauce if desired.
- Serve with buttery mash potato or other vegetable sides.