Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
The flour and baking powder can be substituted by gluten free version for a tasty coeliac version.
- 150 g butter melted
- 150 g brown sugar
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 200 g plain flour
- 20 g ground almond
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50 g mixed nuts chopped finely
- 250 g carrots grated
- 140 g sultanas soaked in water for 20 minutes
- For the icing
- 150 g cream cheese
- 150 g butter soften
- 350 g icing sugar
- 1 orange zest, juice
- Preheat oven to 175˚C. Grease and line 2 x 6inch round cake tin with baking parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, Beat the melted butter and sugar and eggs until doubled in volume then Sift in the flour and add the ground almond, cinnamon, baking powder, nuts. Mix well then add in the grated carrot and sultanas until well combined.
- Pour and divide into the prepared tins, then bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To finish, prepare the icing. Beat the cream cheese, butter and icing sugar with the orange zest just a drop of orange juice until thick and creamy. Spread on the cooled cake or place in the fridge for 30 minutes to cool for a stiffer icing.
- Enjoy within a few days or store in a tight container in the fridge for a week.