Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower Gratin
- 400 g brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 1 cauliflower head cut into florets
- 500 ml milk
- 30 g butter
- 20 g plain flour
- 100 g grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the brussels sprouts and blanch for 3 -4 minutes or until bright green and tender. Lift the broccoli from the water into a colander. Then, add the cauliflouwer florets, and continue simmering for 5-6 minutes until soften. Drain and transfer both to the prepared gratin dish.
- Meanwhile, melt some butter in a saucepan over a medium heat and stir in the flour. Cook for about 2 minutes until a light golden colour. Pour in the milk and whisk vigorously until smooth.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for 5 -6 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the cheese, stirring until melted.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables and season with salt and black pepper. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 10 -15 minutes until golden.
- Serve immediately.
Use broccoli instead of Brussels sprouts if preferred