Arthurstown Seafood Chowder
Keep shellfish separate as they can go off faster. Chowder cream can be done in larger batch! When using cream instead of milk, the cornflour is not required!
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small carrot diced
- 1 potato cubed
- 50 g smoked salmon or smoked haddock slices cut into strips about 5mm thick
- 1 tbsp corn flour - optional
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 500 ml fish stock or water
- 200 ml milk or cream
- 300 g mixed fresh fish fillets such as cod, haddock, hake and salmon,skinned and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 12 tiger prawns peeled
- 24 mussels scrubbed - optional
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the oil and, once it is foaming, tip in the onion, carrot, potato and smoked fish. Sauté for 2–3 minutes until softened. sprinkle the cornflour and stir to coat the vegetables. Pour the wine into the pan, the fish stock and milk or cream and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes until all the flavour combine well. Check the seasoning.
- Add the fish and shellfish. Simmer for 4 -5 minutes without tiring too much until fully cooked. Remove from the heat and Sprinkle with some herb.
- Serve with crusty bread or brown bread.