My absolute favourite at any time!
- 50 g raisins
- 25 ml Irish whisky
- 40 ml hot water
- 450 g plain flour
- 1-2 tsp baking powder generous teaspoons
- 100 g caster sugar
- 200 g Irish butter diced at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 120 ml buttermilk
- 1 egg wash
- 200 g Raspberry or strawberry jam to serve
- 200 ml Whipped cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C/300˚F.
- Place the raisins in a bowl and pour over the whisky and hot water. Let the raisin soak for 30 minutes or until needed.
- Next, Sieve the flour and baking powder together into a large bowl. Add the caster sugar and Rub in the butter with your fingertips.
- Add the soaked raisins ( without the liquid)
- Add the egg and the buttermilk and mix to a soft dough.
- If the mixture is too wet & loose at this stage add in a little extra flour.
- Transfer the mixture to a floured surface and flatten it out to about 2-3cm – ¾ inch in depth.
- Using a scone cutter or a glass cut out some shapes and transfer them to a lined baking tray.
- Brush the egg wash over the top of the scone. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve the scones with the Raspberry jam and freshly whipped cream.
Makes 8-10 scones