Flaxseed and Lemon Drizzle Cake
we used SuperValu flaxseed crunch but any toasted flaxseed mix or mixed seeds will work
- 120 g butter softened
- 120 g caster sugar
- 1 lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 120 g self-raising flour or add 1/2 tsp of baking powder to plain flour
- 3 tbsp flaxseed crunch or other mixed seeds
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp strawberry syrup
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C / 325˚F. Line and grease a 6 mini loaf tins or a 500g cake tin.
- Place the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Next, add in the eggs and sieve in the flour and baking powder. stir until fully incorporated.
- Add in the lemon zest and flaxseed crunch at this stage then pour the cake batter into the prepared tins.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes for the mini tins or up to 40 minutes for a large tin, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- When cooled, make the drizzle.
- Mix the lemon juice and strawberry juice with the icing sugar until a thick paste is achieved. Drizzle generously over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with more flaxseed crunch and let it set for 1 hour to allow the icing to dry and create a light crust.
- Best enjoyed on the day or next day.