Homemade Curry Base sauce
Use this sauce as a drizzle over crispy chicken of a katsu chicken or add it with some vegetables, seafood, diced chicken breast, or leftover meat. Add an extra drop of vegetable stock to loosen the texture as it will be a concentrate of flavour!
for the curry base
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 banana shallot chopped, or onion
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 cm ginger peeled and grated
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 tin coconut milk 400 ml
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- 3 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric or 1 cm fresh turmeric roots chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or use tamari for GF version
- ½ lime zest and juice
- 1 tsp honey
- First prepare the curry sauce. This can be prepared ahead of time and frozen until needed.
- Heat one tbsp of oil in a saucepan, sauté the onions, garlic, ginger, and carrots for 3-4 minutes or until soft and lightly caramelised.
- Pour in the saucepan the coconut milk, vegetable stock, curry powder, turmeric, and chilli flakes. Add the soy sauce, lime zest and juice, and honey. Check the seasoning.
- Cover and simmer over a low heat for 6-8 minutes until the vegetables are fully cooked.
- Remove from the heat and using a hand held blender, blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Set aside. label and store for 2-3 days in the fridge or over 4-6 months in the freezer. from the freezer, let the sauce defrost overnight in the fridge if possible, and warm the sauce gently until simmering for a few minutes. i like a had a few extra tablespoon to fix the sauce until it is pourable.