© Kevin Dundon. All rights reserved
Christmas Turkey Crown
- 2 kg Turkey crown
- 1 lemon zest
- 100 g butter
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp. fresh sage
- 2 large onions roughly sliced
- 3 carrots halved lengthways
- 200 g chicken wings
- 1 head garlic helved
- 150 g Butter
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp thyme chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp sage chopped
- 450 g fresh white Breadcrumbs
- Salt and Pepper
Cranberries and sausage meat stuffing
- 250 g Sausage meat
- 2 tbsp. cranberries chopped
- 1 Onion finely diced
- 1 Cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme chopped
- 1 tbsp. sage chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lemon zest
On Christmas eve
- Step 1. Prepare the traditional stuffing. This will go on the base of the roasting tray.
- Over medium heat, Melt the butter in a saucepan with the onion for 2-4 minutes until translucent. Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, chopped herbs and lemon zest. Pour over the onion and butter mixture and stir well. Season the stuffing and allow the stuffing to cool completely in the bowl overnight.
- Step 2 ; prepare the sausage meat stuffing. This will go in the neck cavity.
- In a large bowl mix together the sausage meat, cranberries, onion, garlic, herbs and season well with salt and pepper. Keep aside covered until needed.
- Step 3; remove the turkey giblets if supplied. Keep aside for later use.
- Step 4 ;
- In a small bowl, beat the 100g of butter with the lemon zest and sage until pliable texture. Then, on the turkey, from the neck cavity ( or wishbone cavity), using your finger very gently loosen up the skin attached to the breast ( been careful not the burst or slit the skin!). push in the lemon and herb butter.
- Step 5; pack the sausage meat stuffing in the neck cavity to give a smooth shape. Any excess roll in a baking parchment paper into a pudding shape then warp in tin foil to roast with the turkey the next morning.
- Place the turkey crown and stuffing back in the refrigerator for the night.
On Christmas morning
- Step 6 ;.
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C.
- Remove the turkey from the refrigerator and finish to stuff the turkey.
- In baking parchment paper, loosely pack the bread stuffing.
- Step 7 : Don’t forget to weight the turkey again with the stuffing enclosed. (to assist with accurate calculations for the cooking times etc) – it should be 30 minutes plus 40 minutes per kg. You can also set a digital probe and it should read 70˚C.
- Step 8 ; prepare the roasting tray; place at the bottom of the tray the giblets, chicken wings, onions, carrots and the garlic head to create a “raft” for the turkey and gravy later on..
- Step 9 ; when ready, Place the breadcrumb stuffing on the tray and Add the turkey crown in the oven and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast according to the weight of the stuffed turkey crown… Loosely cover the turkey with tin foil to prevent excessive browning if required
- Step 10 ; remove the turkey from the oven, lift away from the roasting tray onto a carving board, and again cover with loose tin foil. Allow the meat to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving while doing the gravy using the roasting tray trimming.
- Carve and enjoy the turkey and the day!!