Naughty Chocolate Orange Cake
Nollaig na mBam sona daoibh
- 75 g cocoa powder
- 150 ml boiling water
- 150 g butter
- 450 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 240 g flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp milk, – optional
- 1 orange zest
For the icing
- 200 g milk chocolate
- 200 g cream
- 5 tsp apricot jam
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C fan oven.
- Grease and baseline to 8-inch sandwich tins with greaseproof paper
- Mix the cocoa powder and boiling water together and set aside.
- Place butter and sugar in your mixer and beat until well combined. Add eggs, flour, baking powder, milk and orange zest and mix until combined. Pour in the cocoa and water mixture and combine.
- Divide equally between your two baking tins.
- Place into the oven and leave to bake for 20- 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and invert on a wire rack to cool.
- For the icing combine the chocolate and cream in a bowl over a pot of simmering water, leave cool until it becomes a spreadable consistency.
- Build the cake, place the first cake on a serving platter. Spread some apricot jam then spoon half of the chocolate icing. Top with the second cake and spread the rest of the chocolate icing.
- Decorate with chocolate curls. Serve and enjoy within 2 days.