Chicken casserole Coq au Vin
You can make this recipe using a slow cooker reduce the liquid to 300ml of red wine and 200ml stock and cook for 4 hours on high!
- 50 g butter
- 2 tbsp oil
- 600 g chicken thighs and breast , diced
- 100 g streaky bacon chopped
- 300 g mushrooms sliced
- 2 onions sliced
- 3 garlic gloves crushed
- 2 tsp corn flour combined with a tbsp of cold water
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 200 ml red wine I used my Signature Chef Corbiere red wine
- 600 ml Chicken Stock
- 3 –4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Salt and black pepper
- mash potato to serve
- Chopped flat leaf parsley to garnish
- Place the butter and oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. When hot, fry the chicken pieces for 2–3 minutes, until golden brown all over. Season well, then transfer to a casserole dish.
- Add the bacon to the empty pan and fry for 2 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to the casserole dish too.
- Again, Add the mushrooms, onions and garlic to the emptied pan and cook for 4–5 minutes, until glazed and golden brown.
- Stir in the tomato purée, the corn flour mixture, red wine and stock, bring to the boil, then pour over the chicken in the casserole dish.
- Add the thyme, rosemary then cover and simmer on a stove top over low heat for 30-40 minutes or place in the oven and braise for 40–45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Once cooked through, check the coating of the sauce. If needed , stir in some more corn flour and cold water mixture until the sauce has a coating texture.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and sprinkle of parsley.