Caramelised Onion and Leek Soup
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 sprigs sage
- 2 leeks cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 potato chopped
- 700 ml stock or water
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 200 ml cream
- 50 g butter
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, over medium high heat, heat the oil with the onions. Sear for 5 minutes until the onions start to colour.
- Add the leeks, garlic, sage and potatoes, stirring them all round with a wooden spoon for a minute or so. Season with salt, pepper and some chilli flakes.
- Add the stock or water and the cream and bring to boil. Drop the heat to medium/low, cover and let the soup simmer very gently for a further 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- remove the soup from the heat and using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Check the seasoning. Add the butter and swirl to enrich the soup. Keep warm.
- To serve pour the soup into bowl and sprinkle with extra pepper, chilli flakes and a drizzle of cream.