This apple compote or apple sauce is ideal to have in the fridge! Omit the ginger if you want to smoother compote!
- 50 g brown sugar
- 50 g butter cut into cubes
- 3 cooking apples chopped
- 1 Lemon juice, optional
- ¼ tsp. ground mixed spices
- ¼ tsp. fresh ginger grated
- Place the sugar and butter into a large pan on a low heat. When the sugar and butter are melted add the apples to the pan and cinnamon and ginger.
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow to cook over a gentle heat, stirring often, until the apple pieces have completely broken down into a puree texture. It should take about 15 to 20 minutes depending on the heat and apples.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely.
- Then store in the fridge in a jar or container.
- Store for a few days in the refrigerator.
- Serve on its own, with yogurt or porridge for breakfast, with a delicious roast pork or in a pork chop casserole for main course, or for dessert with shortbread biscuit, custard or use as a base for an apple tart or crumble / cobbler!