- 1 lemon rind & juice
- 6 - 8 cloves
- 1 tsp peppercorns lightly crushed
- 1 tsp allspice
- 5 cm piece fresh root ginger thinly sliced
- 1 l white wine vinegar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 kg bag caster sugar
- 2 kg unripe pears
- Remove the zest from the lemon and place in a pan with the lemon juice, cloves, peppercorns, allspice, ginger, vinegar, cinnamon sticks and sugar. Stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Peel, core and halve the pears, then add to the pan and simmer for 3-5 minutes, until the pears are just tender.
- Spoon the fruit into warmed sterilised jars and pour over the hot liquid to cover.
- Seal, label and store in a cool dry place for a month before using.