Spiced Chickpeas and Vegetable Broth
- 1 tbsp. rapeseed oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 leek sliced
- 1 carrot sliced
- 150 g celeriac root chopped
- 1 courgette green or yellow, sliced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp. harissa paste
- 1 tbsp. tomato puree optional
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 100 g barley
- 1 litre vegetable bouillon or stock
- 1 handful of microgreens optional
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onions, garlic and leek and sear for 2 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add the carrots, celeriac, courgette, tomato, harissa paste, tomato paste, chickpeas, barley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the stock to cover the vegetables. You may need more than 1 litre of stock.
- Bring the mixture to the boil. Cover with a lid and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are softened and the barley is nice and plump.
- Serve immediately or set aside to cool and store in the fridge for 2-3 days.
I used Italian style microgreen from Mc Cormack farm which will be on sell in SuperValu this month! A delicious mix to finish the broth. Make the broth with the vegetables available in your area or in your fridge!